Athena III combines a full-featured wide temperature SBC with a professional quality data acquisition circuit, all on a compact board with PC/104 I/O expansion. This 2-in-1 design reduces the size and weight of your embedded system, while also helping to simplify manufacturing logistics such as purchasing, warehousing, and assembly. As a third generation product, Athena III demonstrates Diamond's support for long-lifecycle applications. It offers the latest processor and I/O technologies for new applications, while remaining backwards compatible with prior models to extend existing product lifetimes.
Athena III offers some of the highest feature density available in a compact SBC with rugged, wide-temperature, shock and vibration qualified operation. Its combination of size, weight, performance, and power consumption is an ideal fit for applications that require solid performance and a comprehensive range of I/O, without the burden of high cost or power consumption.
The Athena III SBC provides an ideal solution for applications requiring ruggedness.
Its many rugged features include:
- Soldered memory for increased immunity to shock and vibration
- -40ºC to +85ºC operating temperature fully tested
- MIL-STD-202-G shock and vibration qualification (test report available)
- Thicker PCB (.093" / 2.4mm) increases rigidity and enhances long-term reliability in high vibration environments
- 2-in-1 SBC + data acquisition reduces size and weight and eliminates bus connectors and spacers for a more rugged solution
Athena III includes a complete set of standard I/O features:
- 4 serial ports with RS-232/422/485 protocol support, configurable via BIOS (2 ports have 128-byte FIFOs and 460.8Kbps max data rate)
- 4 USB 2.0 ports
- Additional USB port for bolt-on solid state flash up to 8GB
- SATA port for external mass storage
- Parallel port for legacy applications
- PS/2 keyboard / mouse ports
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet port with 10/100/1000Mbps compatibility
- VGA and LVDS LCD output with dual independent display capability
- 24 digital I/O lines
Athena III Development Kit
Diamond Systems offers the Athena III SBC in a development kit including a full set of accessories plus your choice of Windows 7 or Linux operating system, ready to run on an 8GB solid state flashdisk. Simply plug in the flashdisk, attach the included cables, add your keyboard, mouse, and display, connect the included AC adapter, and you're ready to boot into a fully functional OS. Configuration files and instructions are provided to rebuild the OS with your application. The Linux kit includes all the tools needed to rebuild the OS. The Windows 7 kit includes a runtime license. Developer tools are required to rebuild the Windows 7 OS.
Linux and Windows Embedded Standard 7 Software Development Kits are also available for Athena III. The Athena III Linux Kit (SDK-ATHE-A-LNX) contains an 8GB flashdisk with a bootable linux image pre-loaded, a software CD with the linux tool chain and a backup image, and documentation. The Athena III Windows Embedded Standard 7 Kit (SDK-ATHE-A-WE7) contains an 8GB flashdisk with a bootable Windows Embedded Standard 7 image pre-loaded, a software CD with a backup image, and documentation.
Athena III Cable Kit (C-ATHE-KIT)
A cable kit is available that includes cables for almost all I/O features of Athena III. LCD cables are available for purchase separately and may require customization depending on your display. Many cables are also available individually for applications that need only a few.
Athena III offers two methods for mass storage. A SATA connector enables the use of popular solid state drives, which can be mounted directly on the PC/104 stack using Diamond's ACC-HDDMOUNT disk mounting accessory board. In addition the board supports solid state wide-temperature flashdisks based on rugged SLC technology in up to 8GB capacity. These flashdisks bolt directly onto the Athena III SBC and communicate over a dedicated USB 2.0 port. Click here to learn more about our USB flashdisks.
Athena I/II Compatibility
The Athena III is the same physical size & shares identical connector locations/pinouts to the earlier Athena I/II products except for the following features:
- No IDE header - either use external SATA storage or use onboard USB flash disk header
- Ethernet connector has changed (due to a change to Gigabit Ethernet, which requires more pins)
- Power input connector has changed
- Backlight connector has changed
The Athena III has Identical data acquisition circuitry to the Athena II product.