Neptune introduces a new concept in small form-factor embedded-ready subsystems.
Neptune's CPU core consists of an ETX module mounted its bottom side, an approach that improves thermal management and increases the space for I/O functions and connections. By utilizing conduction cooling, Neptune features improved ruggedness and reliability through the use of a heatspreader. This innovative design has enabled Neptune to integrate CPU, system I/O, industry-leading data acquisition, both 10/100Mbps and gigabit Ethernet, and a wide-input DC/DC power supply within the compact and modularly expandable EPIC single-board computer (SBC) form-factor.
Choice of CPUs
- 1.91GHz Intel Atom E3845 quad core
- 1.65GHz AMD G-T56N
- 1.0GHz AMD G-T40N
Thanks to Neptune's flexible architecture, you can select from a range of ETX-based CPUs to meet each application's specific performance, power, and cost requirements. Available processors include the Intel Atom E-Series or AMD G-Series CPUs. A choice of ETX COMs offers scalable performance for your application as well as protection from obsolescence through plug compatible CPU modules.
What's more, Neptune's on-board PC/104-Plus expansion socket facilitates the addition of custom or off-the-shelf ISA and PCI interfaced add-on modules, helping you satisfy your application's precise requirements.
Benefits of 6-in-1 Integration
- Less Space: Smaller and thinner than a stack of PC/104 boards
- Lower Cost: An integrated solution eliminates extra PCBs and connectors to lower the unit cost
- Higher Reliability: Less interconnects and components, resulting in higher reliability
- More Rugged: The flatter profile and reduction in connectors makes Neptune far more rugged in mobile applications
- Single Vendor: Purchasing and stocking are easier with a single board
- Saves Time: Assembly effort is dramatically reduced, shortening your total system integration time
Industry-Leading Data Acquisition Subsystem
In addition to its comprehensive embedded-PC system core, Neptune also optionally integrates Diamond's industry-leading data acquisition I/O subsystem and DC/DC power supply, featuring:
- 32 16-bit analog inputs with 250KHz sample rate
- 4 12-bit analog outputs
- 24 digital I/O lines, 3.3V/5V compatible
- 8 opto-isolated digital inputs, 3-24V range
- 8 opto-isolated digital outputs, 3-24V range
- 2 counter/timers for A/D sample rate control, event counting/timing, and programmable interrupts
To simplify the task of putting this advanced data acquisition functionality to work in real-world applications Neptune comes with Diamond's Universal Driver software for C programming under Linux, Windows XP, Windows CE, and DOS.
Benefits of an ETX Processor Core
- Choice of price/performance: Neptune is available with a range of CPUs, from a low-power Intel Atom N270 up to a high-performance Core2Duo, so you can obtain exactly the performance and cost required
- Protection from obsolescence: Easily switch processor modules in case of processor end of life
- Easy upgrade: ETX CPUs are interchangeable, allowing you to easily upgrade your system with minimal or no redesign
- Low Cost: ETX modules cost less than their equivalent SBC, resulting in a lower total cost for Neptune
Autocalibration for Best Measurement Accuracy
Diamond’s top-performing autocalibration circuitry lets you calibrate the analog circuits under software control at any time, maintaining best accuracy despite varying conditions. Temperature- and time-dependent measurement drift is eliminated, since the system can be calibrated as often as desired in just a few seconds, to ensure accurate readings in all environmental conditions.
Neptune's ETX processor module is located on its bottom side. An integrated heatspreader makes thermal contact with the heat generating components and provides a flat surface on the bottom of the assembly for mating to the system enclosure. This technique facilitates efficient removal of heat from the CPU without the need for a fan. Four mounting holes on the bottom of the conduction cooled heatspreader are provided to mount Neptune in an enclosure or to a bulkhead. These mounting holes are #6-32 threaded holes on 2.8" centers.
Operating System Support
- Standard: Windows XP; Windows 7, Linux 2.6
- Optional upon request: Windows XPe/CE; VxWorks; QNX
Neptune uses DDR3 SO-DIMM modules (located on the ETX CPU module) with capacities of either 2GB or 4GB.
Panel I/O Board
This accessory plugs onto the front row of pin headers to provide cable-free access to the standard system I/O: Serial ports, USB, Ethernet, PS/2, VGA, Power input.
Neptune Cable Kit
This comprehensive cable kit provides access to all I/O features on Neptune, including the features on the panel I/O board.
- 1 2x 6981004 IDE, 44 conductor 2mm ribbon cable
- 2 1x 6981006 Power output cable
- 4 1x 6981072 Analog I/O, 2mm IDC40 to 2mm IDC40
- 5 1x 6981073 Digital I/O, 2mm IDC34 to 2mm IDC34
- 6 1x 6981080 Ethernet, 2mm 2x5 crimp to RJ-45 socket
- 7 3x 6981081 Dual Serial Port 2mm 2x10 to 2x DB9M
- 8 2x 6981082 Dual USB, 2mm 2x5 to Dual USB
- 9 1x 6981083 Keyboard/Mouse, 2mm 2x4 crimp to 2x Mini-DIN-6
- 10 1x 6981084 VGA, 2mm 2x5 crimp to DD15F
- 11 1x 6981085 Audio I/O, 2mm 2x5 crimp to 3x 3.5mm jack
- 12 1x 6981088 Utilities, 2mm 2x4 crimp to flying leads
- 13 1x 6981090 Power input, 2x4 high power to flying leads
- 14 1x 6981091 Power input ATX, 2x4 high power to ATX 2x10
- 15 1x 6981141 CRIMP40-IDC40F, 2mm, 12” Opto I/O
- 18 1x 6981144 Variable power input